I have completed the Whole30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a month it has been. No Diet Coke. No Cheese. No Bread. No Pizza. No Sweets. It's been crazy!
Here's how it went . . .
THIS IS HOW I FOUND THE WHOLE30
My Mom introduced me to MindBodyGreen and their daily emails. I started getting them as well and in one of the emails the Whole30 was mentioned. The article was super intriguing, so I went to Barnes and Noble, read the first page of the book and was sold! I gave myself 1 week to read the book before starting the program.
THIS IS WHAT MY LIFE USED TO BE LIKE
- Technically, I was overweight when I started the Whole30. I was just over the line, which is 154lbs, at my age/height. My doctor had been telling me for a year that I needed to lose weight. In May of 2014 I was at 158lbs and my doctor wanted me to get down to 140lbs. At some point after that I gained six more pounds putting me at 164lbs, my heaviest to date. Then, in September 2014, I had a bit of a kidney stone sitaution and eight pounds.
- In December of 2014 I was at 156lbs and when I went to the doctor for my bi-annual appointment he said, "we didn't lose that weight did we?" When July 2015 rolled around and I was at 158lbs I knew I needed to make some serious changes.
- I had some serious digestive issues before doing the Whole30. (tmi...!) I was always bloated, constantly had gas, and diarrhea way too often. If you've read my blog long enough, then you know my history with kidney stones! My seasonal allergies were also pretty annoying.
DURING MY WHOLE30 EXPERIENCE
My first week I craved the sweets. The second week I craved the chip and crackers. I was even dreaming that I had drank some diet coke. I woke up feeling super guilty! My cravings (except for chocolate chip cookies) went away after the first two weeks. There was only one day where I felt super grumpy all day. I learned that if I was grumpy, then it was probably time to eat.
WHAT WENT WELL
- I learned how to cook! I mean, really cook. I made some amazing recipes and they came out successful.
- I love chopping! I bought a brand new knife and it is amazing. The first few days of having it all I wanted to do was chop chop chop!
- I have a new appreciation for fresh fruits and vegetables and the farmers market.
- I've eaten a lot more fish than I have before. I've had salmon/white fish at least once a week if not twice.
- I learned how to tame my cravings. The book says that when you think you're hungry ask yourself if you're hungry enough for Salmon with grilled vegetables. If you are, then you are legitimately hungry. If you're not hungry enough for the salmon, but would eat (fill in the blank), then you're having a craving.
- I learned to stop eating when I'm full. In the past I would eat
- I can live without Diet Coke and Pizza! I never thought it was possible. For years I've tried giving up diet coke and was a complete and total failure. Pizza, don't even talk to me about pizza! I think this is the longest I've ever gone without pizza. Surprisingly enough, once I got over the cravings I didn't even think about diet coke and pizza.
- My seasonal allergies are pretty much gone! The only time I sneeze is when I'm cooking and that's because of the spices. I'm no longer waking up congested. I have a funny feeling it's due to dairy.
WHAT COULD HAVE GONE BETTER
- If I owned a food processor or a crock pot, then I could have made more dishes. There are some great recipes in there that I'm missing out on.
- I should really learn to read a recipe. I'll get all the ingredients and then realize I don't have the means to make the plate (carnitas...need a crock pot | bbq sauce...need a food processor).
- I could have gone to the gym more often. I'm super lazy about the gym anyways, so that's nothing new.
MY RESULTS IN NUMBERS
I started the Whole30 on July 26th. I took before pictures and measured/weighed.
- Weight: 157.8
- Bicep: 11.25
- Waist: 34.5
- Hips: 41.75
- Thigh: 19.25
- Weight: 148.2
- Bicep: 10.5
- Waist: 33.5
- Hips: 39
- Thigh: 20
If you're looking to change your food lifestyle and wanting to be healthier, I absolutely recommend the Whole30! It is amazing and I am so glad that I did it, stuck to it, and succeeded!
All Materials © Erica Musyt